Colour my world pretty

Colour my world pretty

Pages

29 May 2012

The Aztec season - all things native and tribal



What a sentimental feeling it is to have a sense of native belonging. Aren't you proud just proud to be African, if you are one? I sure am, hence why this post is close to my heart. Africa is home to a great and thriving art culture, and though has been understudied and misunderstood for a good deal many years, we are seeing the end to this, fast approaching. So we are currently in a buzz of what media, runways, fashion houses, Architecture and many other platforms tend to present as the Tribal season.


Does that print look familiar? Yes? No? Maybe? If you actually do happen to recognise it, I guess it might be safe to assume that you are obeservant or maybe have a photographic memory or just up to date with current affrairs of fashion. Hold on a minute, maybe you are simply African!

That indeed is the famous Tribal print also commonly known as the Aztec print of late. For quite the majority of Africans, the likes of this print is a very common print in our native countries which has been used for many generations now. Besides that, tribal prints are just so glorious to behold, they are used in many African countries in a variety of ways to symbolise various aspects of our artistic nature resulting in an unrivalled display of the power of the imagination, awarding a sense of belonging. Beyond that they also have an exceptional significance as a means of communication, information and mutual association within particular communities. It has been told before that for such prints there is historical significance in not only the choice of colours, dyes and type of threads used, but also in the decorative element, the symbols used and the figural compositions which are directly related to historical proverbs and events. at least in my knowledge and dispostion that's the belief I hold anyways.

 I recall back in my tender years of primary schooling, when we used to watch Sesame street. What is striking about that memory which I still hang on to, is how whenever they showed African lifestyle, you'd see people in outfits made with this tribal print am on about, dancing to the rhythm of the african drums and song.

Africa through the eyes of my television set during my childhood years - who shares the same memory?
I think I might just have succeeded in making myself miss Africa more today with all this talk, except what you see above and what non-African media has portrayed is not exactly how Africa looks for the lot of you who don't know this yet. Though there is truck load of truth in there, there is so much more to our way of life, and though proud of our culture, we do have contemporary diversity too.

Moving on, I now should mention how I love the twist and turn in the Global fashion trend currently on-going. I read somewhere and took note of this, that:

"Westerners had long misunderstood African art as "primitive." A term that carries with it negative connotations of underdevelopment and poverty. This Western understanding hinged on the belief that African art lacked technical ability due to its low socio economic status. 
However some twentieth century artists  became aware of, and inspired by, African art. African Art demonstrated the power of supremely well organised forms; produced not only by responding to the faculty of sight, but also and often primarily, the faculty of imagination, emotion and mystical and religious experience. These artists saw in African Art a formal perfection and sophistication unified with phenomenal expressive power. By these means, the status of visual art was changed. Art ceased to be merely and primarily aesthetic, but became also a true medium for philosophic and intellectual discourse, and hence more truly and profoundly aesthetic than ever before"

How spot on could that reading have been. Moreover, for generations and generations in my own observation we as Africans have also role played in this confusion as have always tended to blindly look up to the "West" for inspiration and ideas to the extend we would go to the extremes of wanting to totally turn into them and toss away our identity, when we were pretty much pregnant with faboulousity and creativity as it already was. However, the sun has shone on our people as these days, not only is the tribal instinct native to us but we embrace it proudly and forth-coming and are no longer looking down on our own power tools. This has seen the emergence of many inspired and inspirational African designers in many platforms, be it  fashion, interior or just art as a whole. I couldn't have been more proud to have been around to experience such a time as now. I am always in awe when I discover an African not willing to settle for nothing but the top seat. I source my inspiration from such individuals and I wish them well.

the not o conservative side of the African fashion sense, look at that colour pop..how daring
The Global market has also began to embrace this native rush with this season being the most predominated with the Aztec prints, which to us are simply our roots of identity. How yummy is that?

The now very popular prints in the global market
the prints inspire creativity in multiple diverse design work
Of course being my very curios and multi-dimensional self and my current addiction for popping colour I did not miss this "Inner city rush"and wondering why it took me this long to come out of the closet. Well beside that I have really always been fond of prints and patterns thanx to my mother who almost bought a new African attire every month during my grooming days. This current direction by the fashion industry has made more tribal prints easily accessible even on this side of the world that I live in. Of late it’s been impossible to walk into the mall without being completely bombarded with tribal-inspired prints — and I’m not just talking about wall hangings, quilts, ponchos or the likes. The range goes from dresses to sweaters to tights, accessories to homeware, there is absolutely nothing that you can’t find in these prints. Tribal print dresses in the summer are a no-brainer, but who would have thought this print would transition to cooler weather clothes as well. Bold prints like these give winter ensembles a rustic vibe that just makes me oooze as winter is very popular for its dull effect fashion wise.

Check out a few of the things and inspiration I looked up and honed recently that just made this season such as an excitment for me. Will be sharing with you some of my share in the closet too in this post and more very soon.

Loving the patterns in these earings..soo chick
 
I totally die for these colours here
Burberry's African inspired shoe line. Does not always have to be flats these days
Now what do you have to say about those converses? I say colour and pattern inspiration is so Aztec. There is definately something for everyone

Don't you love these rustic hues?..I could sleep in these pumps..they jus gave me a home interior colour palette inspiration, like try imagine a little villa or cottage house interior during the winter snuggled in a warm fleece by the fireplace. There goes me missing Mr Mols again, just from sight of a shoe :-)
Now these particular shoes have got to be great when paired with the look below and retro jean shorts for an extra flair.
The simple casual look, to achieve flair with it, try a slouchy tank dress or a plain white maxi loose tee, with a bright geometric print scarf, in this instance above they went fo ra lovely mix of shades of tangerine and mint. Finish of the look with a pair of gladiator sandals and a medium size crossbody leather bag and have a feel good day

Now lets talk magazines red carpets and runway. Total diversity
On the conservatory angle maybe?
You could never understand the runaway lingo as easy as your ABC but it is rich in knowledge. I persnally wouldn't wear some of these items but they insire me a lot and love the colour wheel
you know this


Someone shout Chick...sexy simple yet elegant

Beyond the fashion scene, we have these prints in the most contemporary of interiors, art gallerries and displays. One of my favourite displays are by a company back home in Botswana by the Kalahari quilts which makes quilts and wall hangings and art accessories.

Who wouldn't wanna lounge in there? I defo would
Some tribal glam in there..Just my kinda spaces
Maybe you want to take it to the bedroom with only colour inspiration and a touch of tribal from a hanging, still rocks!
Or go all out with pop of colour from a throw and accessories, would still do.
Makes good accessories on plain walls - love it
Soo chick..so modern, so relaxed oozes elegances

Amazing quilts by Kalahari Quilts - Botswana


Moving on to some DIY (Do It Yourself material), you can go all out but this is what I'm looking into
How cool is that? My phone will fall in love with me after such a treat.
I am an ornament collector and love accesories of all kinds.. this would brighten my desk station. How neat.!
Now to my own little world around the tribal era. Well some of you, even those who know me personally may have not even noticed it yet that I love prints in many kinds and most prints are tribal inspired as it is. Here are a few pics that some may have already seen here on the blog on my facebook profile of me in prints, most of which tribal inspired. 

The leopard print one shoulder chifon dress top accessorised with a beaded head gear for an outing with friends
The picture qulity on these ones is not so great as was using the front lense of my phone camera and cant really see the top which is tribal insired well. Still keeping my hair natural and the whole tribal look comleents my young fro really well if I have to say so myself.
Do these 2 pics ring a bell? Pay particular attention to the accessories..head gear, shades and bangles..YEP..! a post from 2 weeks back I should think.
In my own living room back home, I added a bit of that rustic feel with that tribal inspired stand alone clock and lamps. The picture is not so clear so wouldn't be able to clearly pick the colour prints. on the smaller lamp shade. The beautifully carved lamp was a wedding gift from my beautiful cuz Mera and she couldn't have been more spot on bout what I'd totally adore.

 And that's it about the Aztec season through my eyes. Now that I have made this very long introduction, you will understand my up coming hype in the next coming posts. Until next tym here is a tease of  what to look out for in the next post :


5 comments:

  1. ma nunuza..!waitse wena you are in the wrong profession..hehehe..luuurving this to bits!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha and which profession should I have considered my angel? :-) its never too late to explore the world of limitless possibilities. But thanx for the love button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mos def african prints hv left a big mark in the fashion industry...they r in and are 2 die 4...hopefuly this post will awaken the hibernated beings{fashionwise}**wink wink**
    i love hw u show the diversity of the print use,nt only fashionnwise aswell as interior deco..simple high fashion african aztec glam..
    sesame street days are ova...we see the light for african print couture...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! this is supercool

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is just so inspiring on so many IeveIs waitseee.. i just reaIized i Iove these prints aII the way to interior designs mo Iapeng .. and my sister has been using these kinda of bed covers for a whiIe .. i shud def send you a pic of my IetseIa soon waitse_need ideas
    mma the you are such a woman and your bIog just radiate feminity !!!

    ReplyDelete